The Center began more than 30 years ago as a partnership between the University of California, Davis, and state government to address the needs of rural counties to develop new skills for their social workers. Since our formative years, the Center has grown to serve human services organizations and professionals throughout California and across the nation. We now deliver expertise in such practice areas as child welfare, tribal social services, probation, developmental disabilities and other mental health issues, early childhood education, adult protective services, public assistance eligibility, corrections and more.
Our growth over the years can be attributed to one guiding principle: our unwavering commitment to listen to the needs of human services organizations and work as partners to create solutions that best serve adults, children and families.
Helping you better serve children and families in need
UC Davis Extension’s Center for Human Services does what no other organization can do. It combines the vast resources of the University of California with the nimble ability to support and respond to the changing needs of human service organizations.
The Center provides training and services to:
- all 58 California counties, more than a dozen states and 37 Native tribes
- more than 40,000 social service professionals who, collectively, serve millions of vulnerable children, adults and families
- hundreds of county and state social services managers, deputy directors and directors to help them focus their organizational goals and develop creative solutions during times of change and legislative reform
- hundreds of organizations by delivering nearly 2,000 training days each year through custom/on-site training, traditional classroom courses, institutes and online courses
- county departments and state legislature through assessments, research and policy recommendations on issues affecting millions of children, adults and families
Expertise specific to your unique needs
The Center for Human Services is comprised of several specialized program groups which provide comprehensive training and services across a wide spectrum of knowledge.
Learn more about our programs